A non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and education of railroad history in Western New York State, the Province of Ontario, and neighboring regions.
Note: Pages on this site are best viewed with a "full screen"
Welcome To The Official Website for The Niagara Frontier Chapter NRHS
Proudly serving the Railfan community for over 75 years!
The Niagara Frontier Chapter has two programs available for presentation of local trolley operations.
The programs are available to area historical societies and other interested organizations pending availability.
The programs are presented free of charge, although the chapter gratefully accepts donations to fund further expansion,
The programs are as follows:
1) “By Trolley to Olcott” is a presentation featuring the International Railway Company’s line from Buffalo to Olcott Beach.
Trolley lines were built primarily to handle rush hour crowds of workers during the week.
Owners began to find ways idle cars could be used evenings or weekends.
Destinations were developed and Olcott Beach was a natural for seasonal business. The line opened in 1900 and ran until 1937.
This presentation covers the line, station stops and all that Olcott Beach had to offer including the beach, picnic area, amusement park, miniature train,
band shell, lake connections to Toronto and other ports and the magnificent hotel with its grand ballroom featuring the big name bands of the era.
This program runs 60 minutes.
2) “The Niagara Gorge Belt Line” was an electric railway (trolley) service that ran over a loop between Niagara Falls and Lewiston/Queenston from 1899 to 1932.
Trolleys ran north along the top of the Niagara River Gorge on the Canadian side, then south at the bottom of the cliff on the American side.
Spectacular, awe-inspiring views unfolded at every turn of the track.
In addition to the trolley loop, included is the history of connecting lines as well as the development of electrical power at Niagara Falls.
This is a 85 minute DVD presentation.
If you would like to arrange for a program, please contact the Niagara Frontier Chapter at (716) 434-5665 or email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Chapter NRHS is one of the oldest chapters of the National Railway Historical Society. Originally named the NRHS Buffalo Chapter, we received our charter on February 1, 1942. Charter members were listed as Russell H. Shapley, John M. Prophet III, Charles A. Erler, and Albert D. Kerr. Prior to 1942, we were the Buffalo Division of the Railroad Enthusiasts.
To better reflect our mission, the Chapter's name was changed on February 29, 1988 to Niagara Frontier Chapter NRHS, Inc.
On June 1, 2003 our long anticipated opening of our Railroad Museum of the Niagara Frontier was celebrated. Housed in the historic Erie Railroad Freight Depot in North Tonawanda, New York, our museum contains various railroad artifacts which celebrate the rich heritage of railroading in the Niagara Frontier Region.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about this web site.